Jodie
We live on high ground. On April 24 of this year, that wasn't necessarily a good thing, as tornadic thunderstorms and golf ball-sized hail and a reported 80-mph wind gust ripped up the area around us. Believe me... I wanted to be at the lowest point in the valley on that day.

But the very next week, I was thanking God for life up on the hill. The weekend of May 1-2, Tennessee measured its rainfall in feet. In some places, high ground was all that was left. People lost their homes to the rising water just a couple of miles from us. High ground was a blessing that day and in the weeks to follow.

There's a lesson there. Our refuge is not in high or low, in men or weapons, in great numbers or in solitude... The only refuge is in Christ. Nothing else is going to stand.

And there's one more thing. In the midst of despair, in the midst of floods and tragedy, there is hope. God is still on His throne and He will never be removed. NEVER. I thought of my mom that day. Nearly eleven years ago, she lost almost everything she owned to sudden, unexpected, record floods after Hurricane Floyd. I will never forget the picture my grandmother sent me of my mother, standing in front of the pile of debris that used to be her possessions, flipping through her waterlogged Bible. Earthly things may not endure, but God and His Word will always be.

Want to know the amazing thing? As the rain stopped on Sunday, May 2, I walked out on my deck... and this is what I saw:



-JB
3 Responses
  1. JenS Says:

    Thanks for the reminder, Jodie. As a relatively new mid-westerner, I'm terrified of tornadoes. But I need to remember that (to borrow Christ Tomlin's words) "My God is greater, my God is stronger, God you are higher than any others."


  2. Jenny Says:

    I always love a rainbow!


  3. Jodie Says:

    Thanks to both of you! And I always seem to see rainbows just when I need to see them most. God's kind of cool like that.