Jodie
About six months ago, my truck's tail light got cracked. Not sure how, but it was a crack big enough to let water collect in the bottom of my light, even though you have to really LOOK to find the crack. My husband wanted to replace it that day, but it was Christmas, and I couldn't see paying over $100 when we could simply drill a tiny hole in the bottom of the light, drain the water, and move on. Yay, that worked! And I saved us some cash!
Then, in March, the turn signal light went out. Turns out it had corroded from the moisture. We cleaned it and put it back in, my husband still saying we needed a new tail light. I still disagreed. Well, last week, two lights went out, and when I went to clean them, they were so corroded that they had actually melted into the light assembly. (Oh, MAN! Now I had to tell my husband he told me so.) Off I went to buy a new tail light assembly. Brought it home, went to switch the plug into the new assembly, and found the corrosion had reached all the way back to the pigtail socket and that has to be replaced too. I went from buying $6.00 bulbs to a repair of over $150. If we'd simply replaced the light in December, it would have been $100 and done.

When we figured out the socket was corroded, I laughed and said, "Wouldn't you know? I just thought of a blog post."

Sin. Sin starts out with a small crack, and the devil is good at finding those small cracks. We figure a little bit can't hurt, so we let a little in. But before long, if we don't take care of the problem immediately, we're corroded and falling apart. We're in so deep we can't seem to find a way out. I thank God that Jesus can heal us at the first crack or at the deepest corrosion.

I've been letting some small cracks open up lately, things that seem harmless, truth be told. But in the long run, they'll deepen the crack and lead to things that are corrosive. I think there are some tail lights I need to replace. Today. How about you?

-JB

Photo from freefoto.com
4 Responses
  1. Kimberly Says:

    Jodie, this is great. I wouldn't have the first clue what to do, much less know how to replace it. Pigtail socket....just great.


  2. Jodie Says:

    To be honest, I didn't know it was called a pig tail until I called it a plug and someone corrected me. LOL I like pigtail socket better, though.


  3. Ginny Hamlin Says:

    I try to confess to God every nightly whatever He brings to mind. After all, confessing is not telling God something He doesn't already know; it's simply standing in agreement. Sometimes, He brings to mind the smallest things, but He is always right. This is a good reminder for me not detour from these confessions.

    All a man's ways seem right to him, but the LORD weighs the heart. Proverbs 21:2


  4. kathy taylor Says:

    Yes, I require constant maintenance, reading the Word, prayer, and self-examination. Wonderful analogy.