Jodie
(Now, from the outset, I'm going to tell you not every word of this song works, okay? Just go with me on this one...)

If you've been reading here long, you know I've been downright lost without a church in our new town. It's been three months and six or seven different churches and tears and frustration and loneliness and anger and disappointment and blue funk and homesickness trying to find a church. I think it was last week or the week before when I mentioned how much I miss the hugs I get at church back home. I just miss having a church family. We found a wonderful church with an amazing pastor and went for a month, but something about it didn't soothe my soul. Wonderful church, just not "home."

Well, today, I set out to go to one church, but I wound up at a different one. It just sort of happened that way. We went in and sat down and basked in good old-fashioned traditional worship with the Apostles' Creed and the Gloria Patri. (Which is odd, because I am usually a contemporary service kind of girl.) It was nice. I felt quiet and peaceful and like I could breathe.

And then it happened. During the last song, I glanced behind me and saw a woman who could be the twin sister of my best friend's mother. (Think Paula Deen in every way, y'all. I love Miss Peggy and miss her so much!) Something in me told me to walk up to this precious stranger and tell her she reminded me of Miss Peggy. So, I gathered up my courage, walked back there, and told her that. Know what she did? She threw her arms around my neck and squeezed me in the best hug I've had in months and said, "That's the sweetest thing anybody's ever said to me." Then she proceeded to take me by the arm and introduce us to the entire church, give us her phone number, and invite us to lunch. That Ms. Wanda is one awesome lady. When we walked out of church, our daughter said, "I like it here."

But here's the kicker. I got in the car, flipped on the A/C, and turned on the satellite radio. There's a Jimmy Buffett station on there, and I just programmed it in yesterday. I hit that Jimmy Buffett preset, put the car in gear, and heard the words, "The smilin' eyes match the smilin' faces, and I have found me a home. I have found me a home. You can have the rest of everything I own, 'cause I have found me a home."

Well, dadgummit, God went and made me cry.

-JB
7 Responses
  1. Love Love Love this - and what do you know - God went and made me cry, too.
    Know exactly how you felt. Thanks for sharing such a wonderful moment and morning.


  2. Your blog made it into MY blog today! Here's the link:
    http://kayshostak.blogspot.com/2010/05/do-you-know-how-to-deal-with-village.html


  3. Jen Says:

    That is awesome... and it made me cry, too! God is so good. :-)


  4. Kimberly Says:

    Aw, that's precious! I'm soo glad for you!


  5. Ginny Hamlin Says:

    Yay! Hooray! Reading this is a great ending to a great day. ;)


  6. Oh, Jodie, I've been in your shoes so many times. God has always provided a home church for us too, but the waiting is sometimes so hard.
    I'm so glad you finally found a home to worship in. Too bad we live so far apart or we could go for coffee. If you're even in the Warner Robins area, look me up and we'll do just that.
    Thanks for stopping by for a visit.


  7. Jodie Says:

    Thanks so much for the comments, y'all. I love those teary God moments. April, I'll for sure look you up if I ever get back down there!