Jodie
So Monday was the background and what I originally started to write. Today is what I found when I looked up the lyrics to the Jars of Clay song "Faith Like a Child." Like I said, sometimes I go looking for the song, and sometimes the song comes looking for me.

I know that a lot of my writing deals with feeling "miles away" from God, but I'm beginning to wonder if that isn't the way the majority of life on earth feels. After all, we are not yet in heaven. We get those awesome, amazing, mountaintop moments like I had on Sunday, where we feel like we can see Him if we squint just right, and then we face the world again.

I'm not going for "downer" here. I'm actually going for "upper." Thing is, we all feel that way, like God is farther from us than ever. The other fact is, Satan likes to take that feeling and make us think we're the only ones who feel it. He likes to poke and prod and get us down, make us believe God isn't near when, really, He is as close as our next breath. That's why songs like this one and so many others I've mentioned make me feel a little better. I'm not alone. Other people go through it too, even the ones who I look up to as "giants" in the faith.

We can't live based on feelings. Feelings are easily manipulated (just watch a sad movie when you're happy or a happy movie when you're sad and you'll see what I mean). We must live based on faith... like a child.

-JB
4 Responses
  1. Amen! Wonderful post. And as for yesterday's post - we were looking for a church last summer and I so know how that is. How hard it is to not spend time judging everything. But so very glad God reached out and drew you to him!
    Have a great day!


  2. Ginny H. Says:

    Talk about timing…your post holds hands with the Joni devotional I sent you yesterday (03-23). I think you’re right. I think we all “feel” this way at times, but like you also stated, God is as close as our own breath.

    Your post underscores something that I believe God has been saying to me through various forms…Romans 8:38-39 was on a post I read (randomly) yesterday. Then last night I heard the song “He Is With You” by Mandisa. I just sent you a You-Tube video.

    This is a Grrrrrrrrrrreat post, love you --gh


  3. Jodie Says:

    Thanks guys! I saw the parallels you're talking about Ginny. God is whacking me over the head here...


  4. Jodie Says:

    Thanks guys! I saw the parallels you're talking about Ginny. God is whacking me over the head here...