Jodie
It's no secret I've been dealing with trust lately, so it's probably no surprise that the old Travis Tritt song "Can I Trust You With My Heart" has been playing around in my head.

Side note? It hurt me to call that an "old" song.

After hearing that song in my head for days on end, I decided to look up the lyrics since it's been a while. It's your typical boy-meets-girl kind of song, but look deeper and the struggle about trusting God rings through.

We often experience that blush of "first love" with God, when we think nothing bad can ever happen. And then, that tough to understand thing comes, and we start to wonder. Can we trust Him? Will He always walk beside us? Will He really do what's best for us? Can He really handle our baggage? We back up and start to question Him, start to ask, "Hey, God... Can I really trust You with everything about me? Can I trust you if I love you and surrender to you?"

I think about Job a lot when I think about trust. I want to come to that place where, like Job, I can say, "Though He slay me, yet will I trust in Him." (Job 13:15) That is one of my favorite verses in the Bible. God is not a man (or a woman, like the Travis Tritt song). Men will violate our trust. God never will.

Easy to say, hard to believe some days.

I encourage you to read the lyrics to that song. Think about it in terms of God. No, not all of the words will apply, but for the ones that do, ask yourself where you are in your walk. Are you holding back, asking God if He is trustworthy? Are you making your trust conditional? Or are you trusting Him with no conditions on your relationship with Him? Yes, we will go through seasons of trust and doubt. Where are you now?

-JB (who is definitely still learning to trust)
0 Responses