Jodie
Got ya, didn't I? This would be another one of those instances (see "I Won't Back Down") when a secular song totally gives me a word from God.

I love songs like that. It's like a little bit of God in an unexpected place. A reminder that He really and truly is everywhere.

And, seriously... Take a listen to Ashlee Simpson's "Pieces of Me" and tell me that pretty much every word (except for that part about the phone ringning. I don't believe I've ever received an actual phone called from the actual Almighty) could be sung to the God who loves me.
I couldn't get the song out of my head after church yesterday, because we were discussing the feeding of the five thousand in John 6. (Your'e wondering how my brain could possibly connect Jesus feeds 5,000 and Ashlee Simpson. I know. You can say it.) I learned something new. John makes note that the little boy brought barley loaves to Jesus. At the time, barley was the bread of the poor, so much so that it had a certain stigma about it: You must be dirt if you're eating barley bread.

The bread is distributed and twelve baskets of leftovers are picked up. Ah, but here is where Jesus gets interesting. He says to the disciples, "Gather the pieces that are left over. Let nothing be wasted."

Hmm... barley bread is poor, cheap, and generally despised. And Jesus wants none of it wasted.

What about the poor, cheap, and despised pieces of me? What about my sins? What about my pit-dwelling, slime-covered bottom-of-the-rain-barrel moments? What about the uglies I want to shove under the rug, nail the rug to the floor, and sit a vicious, rabid wolf on top of so nobody finds them? Could Jesus really want those pieces of me?

Yes, he does. He says, "Let nothing be wasted." In my very own life, I've already watched him do that in a way that has brought me to tears no fewer than two dozen times. I have seen him take the slimiest, most disgusting moment of my life and use it for his glory. Hear me... It. Was. Not. Wasted. I should have been stoned for it. I deserve a thousand punishments. But Jesus didn't waste the poor, pathetic pieces.

What a God! What a God who not only forgives us, but who takes the nasty pieces and actually uses them. No life is wasted. No experience is wasted. No one has ever done anything so bad that God cannot forgive it and use it for his glory.

Did you get that? NO ONE.

And so, yes, I do believe Ashlee Simpson said it quite well: "I hear you and the darkness is a clear view, 'cause you've come to rescue me."

JB
1 Response
  1. Anonymous Says:

    Wonderful insights, Jodie - and masterfully written, as usual. I wrote once about pieces. Just look for the devotion titled "I Want My Pieces Back" here: http://blhs.org/resources/spiritualResources/devotions/archive.asp.

    Edie (Sorry to post as anonymous; I haven't figured out how to do otherwise.