Jodie
Ah, vacation. Time to turn off the brain, walk on the beach, veg, and not think about writing for awhile.

We'll all pause while I roll on the floor and laugh until my abs explode.

For whatever reason, when I hit the beach, my imagination went into warp speed. I wanted to drag a notebook down to the water and write story after story after story. The mental overdrive wore me out. By the time I got home, my brain hurt and I never wanted to think about another story again. You'd think it would be a great thing, but all I got the whole five days was vague images and imprints and feelings, the ingredients of scenes but no gorgeous Kitchenaid mixer to stir them up with. It stunk.

I did get quite a bit more read in Donald Maas's book. (I'm taking it slow and absorbing. There's another reason my brain geared up into hyperdrive...) One point for productivity! But it was my vacation! Should productivity have been my goal?

Anyway, if you're a regular reader, you know I've been plodding my way through the desert for awhile, drifting around in the land where I KNOW God is there but FEELING Him is difficult. Usually, I can step onto the beach first thing in the morning, take a deep breath, and set my feet on a good walk with my Jesus. It's why I absolutely love Ten Shekel Shirt's "Ocean."

That didn't happen.

Grrrr...

Wanna know what I've learned? I'm having trouble being quiet. (If you know me at all, you're laughing right now because you already knew that. SEVERAL people who know me well have sent me Flair on Facebook that says, "People who don't know me think I'm quiet. People who do wish I was.") I sit down with Jesus and my brain refuses to shut up. It's gone Energizer Bunny on me: plots and prayer requests and chore charts and everything else bounce around in my brain like white noise. My noise-meter pegs and I give up on the God conversation. It stinks because I know He's in there somewhere, but I can't hear Him for all of the racket.

Well, Thursday night, I managed to get quiet for about ten minutes. And it was beautiful. Oh, I felt my Jesus! He all but wrapped His arms around me and showed up. And I closed my eyes and I turned my face to the sky and I heard the ocean and I smelled the salt and I felt the rain and then there was this breeze that kicked up and just kind of brushed my face, and it was like the hand of God, if that makes any sense. It made me think of a poem by Christina Rosetti (who is hands-down one of my favorite poets EVER):

Who has seen the wind?
Neither I nor you:
But when the leaves hang trembling
The wind is passing thro'
Who has seen the wind?
Neither you nor I:
But when the trees bow down their heads
The wind is passing by.

Oh, yes, the touch of God on a trembling leaf like me... It makes all of the difference.

JB
1 Response
  1. Jen Says:

    Don'tcha love moments like that? :-)