Jodie
I wanted to post this last week, but there is a certain "jumping off a cliff" that happens post-conference. I actually took a nap on Friday, the day after I got back from the Blue Ridge Mountains Christian Writers Conference. I never take naps. If I take a nap, it's a fifteen-minute power nap. For me to sleep two hours straight tells you a lot about how worn out I was! Saturday, my brain was two steps behind all day long, and yesterday was Sunday. (Did I mention that Friday was the last day of school, so now I have a little person with me 24/7? Make writing interesting...)

My goal was to blog about all of the little things about conferences for those who have yet to attend one (this was my first), but it turns out that time is a premium at an event like that. I knew that in theory. In practice, I had to learn by experience.

So, one day at a time...

Today we'll talk about Sunday.

I had a fabulous six-hour drive to Ridgecrest on Sunday. The last couple of hours was in the foothills and up the mountain. It might have been pretty if the rain hadn't been falling. Oh well... And, just so you all know, when they tell you on the Ridgecrest website that you can't use GPS to get there? Well, they're telling you the truth. GPS will get you almost there. After the almost, you're on your own. I'd forgotten my printed directions from their website, but by trial and error, I finally made it. Checked in, made my way to my room, unpacked a little, took a quick breather, then headed back down to the main lobby to see what I could see. Ridgecrest has awesome, creaky rocking chairs in the main lobby, so I plopped down with a bunch of other newbies and creaky-rocked for about half an hour with them before we took the newcomer's tour. Made two new friends--Suzanne and Sheila--on that tour. Made another new friend, Heather, right after. I love my new writer friends! We sat together at all of the group sessions and at the banquet and gushed to each other about our experiences. Nice.

We had our first dinner (and let me tell you, they feed you well at Ridgecrest. I never had a bad meal when I was there. WOW!). Blue Ridge is one of the conferences that allows you to sit with the faculty during lunch and dinner. God bless them. I wonder when they get a moment to themselves? That night, I sat at Terry Whalin's table. (Mostly because I'd just finished reading his book, Book Proposals That Sell and I had a couple of questions, which he was gracious enough to answer.

At our first group session, I spotted my dear online friend Diana, and we got to talk face to face for the first time. Yay! That was a great hug. (I had to give her two hugs: one for meeting her, and one because she's a double-finalist in the ACFW Genesis competition. Go, Diana!) Angela Hunt was the keynote at our first group session. She spoke on our life's calling (to love and obey God) and our tasks under that calling (writing, parenting, etc.). She also told about her first writing jobs. Great story that you should all hear someday if you possibly can. :-) All of the faculty got up and spent one minute each outlining their classes. I decided, based on those, to go to Angela Hunt's class, "The Sophisticated Novelist." (I wound up taking nearly 20 pages of notes in that class alone!)

We met the faculty and signed up for one-on-one appointments. I already had one with Eva Marie Everson, who did my paid critique (an awesome benefit of BRMCWC, by the way!) and I made one more with Chip MacGregor. I'd been wanting to meet him, because I know from his blog that he's a tell-it-like-it-is kind of guy. I knew he'd answer the questions I had. (For those who want to know, he's a very nice, very funny guy. And yep, he's a really honest one, too. More on that tomorrow. It's a good thing.)

And then I went to my room and collapsed. Okay, not really. I was much too keyed up to sleep. My word! I'd just sat in a room with hundreds of other writers (some of whom I'd read their books!) and had made new friends. I was bouncing off of the walls. What I should have done was head down to the lobby to hang out with the groups that would gather there each night, but I was too brain dead from the drive to think about that. Instead, I had me some God time.

A big thing I wanted to give to Him was all of my time. I wanted each and every day to be filled with His divine appointments, to be filled with His purposes and His plans. I didn't want to do anything without Him, didn't want to hop onto my own agenda (which is easy to do, with agents and the like around). God had let me know early on that I was not to pitch at this conference, that I was to go and learn and observe and meet and see and take in, but not to pitch. There's a tough one. But I wouldn't change it, especially since I was able to learn and take it all in without the "pitch stress" hanging over my head. I think I'd have missed a lot if I had been walking around saying my elevator pitch over and over in my head. (And to my cousin, Nate... It really has nothing to do with an actual elevator...)

Sleep came after midnight sometime, and Monday came early, but we'll talk about that tomorrow. There is much to come in future posts, including how I threw a pen at Chip MacGregor and how I came to be the accidental stalker of Steven James.

JB
1 Response
  1. I read your blog a couple of days ago but hesitated to comment because it would've been all about ME. How I someday want to go to Blue Ridge, how I was surprised and excited to see it's held at Ridgecrest which I will be at next fall, how I always (ALWAYS) get lost trying to get where I'm going, and how I want to meet Chip as well, how I love meeting new friends at conferences. So, now that I got that out of the way...

    Thank you for sharing your experience. I was glad to hear that you just went to soak it in and didn't pressure yourself to pitch. I did the same thing at my first conference in 2006 and definitely encourage most people to do the same. Looking forward to following your wonderful career! :)